Monday, August 27, 2007

Missing

Life had drawn us in different directions over and over again. I had been determined that I would take it all in stride. I'd been spending my time here, cleaning, caring for his things, seeing to the littles of life so that he would have no worries. At least not within the confines of the wagon. Dinner would be ready when he could make it home. Home. I looked around the wagon in a new light. This was not home to him. The plains themselves, the stars, the grass, the multitudes of grazing bosk. Those were more home to him than the rolling enclosure. It had not dawned on me until I came in and noticed the scent of him lingering in the air. The change of clothing and the abscence of the tether he used to tie back his hair. I was filled with this flood of emotions. I was thrilled beyond my imagining. I was seething mad that fate had once more slid our paths off skew so that we missed each other. I was saddened that I missed him. I kept missing him. It was a weighted kind that ached deep down in deep down places I didn't know existed to me. I can't ever remember feeling like this, especially about someone, anyone. Trouble was he didn't know.

When I first came to these people, I knew I belonged here. It was more than just a feeling, it was a conviction. It was not the tribe that had drawn me across time and space. I will forever be a part of them. It was meant to be but my reason for being here, my purpose was just for one.

I grabbed a blanket, packed a meal and headed out for the herds. There was so much that rested on his shoulders. Would he, could he use another to lean on? It was time to listen. It was time to share, a time to dare. There was an old saying about a prophet and a mountain. I didn't once look back at the wagon.


Share with me the blankets that your wrapped in
because its cold outside cold outside its cold out side
share with me the secrets that you kept in
because its cold inside cold inside its cold inside
and your slowly shaking finger tips
show that your scared like me so
let's pretend we're alone
and I know you may be scared
and I know were unprepared
but I don’t care
tell me tell me
what makes you think that you are invincible
I can see it in your eyes that your so sure
please don’t tell me that I am the only one that’s vulnerable
impossible
Vulnerable ~ Secondhand Serenade

No comments: