Friday, November 9, 2007

Soul Mate



So many thoughts tumbled in my head of late, turning over and over like a broken record that I felt as if each spiral grew more twisted. Right now I didn't want to think anymore. When the posts were driven into the ground to create the kaiila pens, I was more than ready to help. It had been Master Ramza during the trail that had taught me to let those who know how to do, do what they knew how to do and help only where I knew how. So I listened for needs that I could be of help with. Holding supplies within easy reach, fetching a this or a that when it was needed or just getting out of the way now and then. It was the kind of work that drove away demons from your thoughts, muscle binding, mind numbing, sweat pouring, lets get this done labor.
By the time the kaiila were ready to cut into the pens, I was sitting on top of a rail with a water bota, letting the contents pour down over my face. The stampede of taloned claws tore into the grass and dirt sending it flying into the air like jets of water out the sides of a ski-doo. It was a magnificent sight to behold. Then I saw him. He was a fire breathing dragon with smoke pluming from his nostrils. Each line of muscle rippled beneath the velvet fur as the central fire bathed over his flank and legs. The trod of his claws shredded the ground as he wove back and forth until he finally reared his full height in defiance right in front of me. His shadow engulfed me as if I were an ant seen from a far away mountain top. I froze in place just watching it all.
The plummet of his forelegs barely missed snatching me off the rail though he was still fury in action. He pounced and reared over and over again, sending wisps of his mane splaying around him like a black halo. He stirred a passion inside the likes I had never known. When he stopped and stood still, he stared right into my soul. His breath blew searing hot against my face. His eyes seemed like glowing coals and in the liquid surface of one of them, I saw my own reflection. I had never wanted, coveted anything so deeply in my whole life .. not the animal .. his spirit. When he raised once more I could hear the handlers calling me from far away. To get down, to be careful, to get out of the way .. but as the beast spun and raced along the fencing, I was off the rail as well, running full out on the other side of the fence to keep up with him.
A massive arm clothes-lined my mid section taking the winded breath out of me at the same time this enchantment sprung and cleared the fence like he was a ballet dancer. I could only watch as he galloped into the distance. He was free .. at least for now but he had taken something of me with him. I buried my face into the chest of the Master, holding on as tight as I could, grasping at tidbits of my mind and soul that seemed to be fleeing in the wind. There was no time for dizzy little slaves or their fantasies and he wrenched me free just to toss me against the fence post but I never felt it.

No comments: