Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Für Sie

Rarely do I pay any attention to the conversations that banter about the fire and that morning wasn't any real exception. They were talking about some of the fur that had flown about the encampment the past hand. Nothing that needed my attention or provoked my interest. I'd been helping beat dust from the pelts that circle the fires so when I returned with an armload I kept two out for those gathered. Metal to a magnet, I am always drawn to him and knelt next to his side. It was just an offering of furs for warmth on a cold morning but the acceptance meant a great deal from them both. Being sent for a morning meal was icing on the cake. A mention of the place the healer had spoken of drew a brief curiosity while I was seeing to something to eat for the spex.
Places.
I'd begun to pay a little more attention when people spoke of other cities, gleaning what I could of them in the conversations without being intrusive. I was learning of what lie outside the beautiful plains we lived on. The witch's smile met mine when she noticed my interest and left me wondering if she saw it or felt it. I did pick up on the mention of her mate's sudden overprotectiveness and later the subject of chocolate covered eyes came up. Maybe it is just something women are intuitive about. But back to the eyes, they seem to be a special luxury and it made me remember she had wanted mine when I first arrived. I felt a bit special myself for her covet of my own after that. I promised to see small furs delivered to her wagon at least a few before she left for her trip.
By then he had moved to his furs using the one I'd offered to brace against. It isn't that he is any more handsome when he is relaxing, it is just this ... this .. feeling inside to see him that way. Vicarious transferance? Put a little dance in my strides and one of those light hearted songs on my lips while I went about seeing to the others. Yes, it did. The woman I'd been serving had drifted off into day dreams and I told him that I thought it was only him that I put to sleep or just long relaxing thoughts. It touched me when he said .. long .. very relaxing thoughts. I was in an almost sappy mood when he began his series of questioning. This time they were more a curiosity than a thirst.
Had my new responsibilities helped? Helped what? Me? No. I mean yes in a way. That emotion laden napsack remained tied shut this time to say I enjoy the creatures, the work is hard but can be rewarding. It was in one of those long winded high pitched run on sentences that I told him about the fire breathing ebon monster. He was laughing when he said that it was good to see me thrive. Then I went and did it. I said 'thank you' for letting me serve the kaiila Mistress. "You are slave .. you will serve whatever is given to serve but if it is something that causes you to thrive so much the better." There was that reminder again only this time it had come from him. I kept quiet rather than ruffle any fur. When he rose later to go, my gaze followed naturally. I asked very simply if I could find him later to ask questions.

No comments: