Monday, September 24, 2007

Climbing the walls

I'm tired of being careful
I'm sick of staying home
Take a right, take a left,
I don't really care
It doesn't matter where we end up
Baby I can love you anywhere
I will be a waitress,
you could work on cars
Find ourselves a koa
and sleep underneath the stars
Just living and a loving
Cause I'm tired of being careful
I'm sick of staying home
Baby, don't say no
Show me the other side
of the great unknown

Something there is that doesn't love a wall

I'd walked up upon a gathering of freewomen by the stream but I didn't plunder into the midst of them. Instead I remained on the fringes. There can be a closeness among women that is revered. Sisterhood. I watched for a while from the rise on the hill not daring to intrude on the sacred bond. It was only after the others left Falon by herself that I approached.

Palla could talk enough to make one eyelid twitch ready to close. Astar spoke very little but always had little gems of wisdom to offer when she did. But Falon is the only one of the freewomen that talks to me. seeks to probe beneath the bondage to the woman inside. When she began talking of him, I hid my discomfort of the topic to listen. How she feels is no secret. It is tangible in the air as mists rising off the stream. We teased a bit about his stubbornness. I asked her point blank if she had a potion for that.

It was more than curiosity but a willingness to learn more of him. She sought insight.

The heart and mind are similar to the body; They can live and grow, They can be wounded and healed, They can wither and die. We gather the wounds, the scars in our hearts and minds like stones. One stone upon another until they form a wall... one that can keep our emotions in or one that becomes our protective shield like a scab .. one that keeps others out.

I see what you are saying said the blind man for my eyes have been opened, but I still cannot see what you are speaking of for I am still blind

Regardless of how I tried to expose what few crumbs I saw, felt, understood, there seemed to be this dark spot in her vision she could not see through. It provided an interesting inner turmoil within. There I was honestly trying to bring another woman closer to him despite my own feelings.

Too I felt the talons of the larl surge, curl, extend, glistening in the light though they remained poised. One moment of weakness and they could have slit wide and deep as easily as those that had ripped into my back. One moment of dawning and they would have forever been there as defense to protect that creation of unity. Neither came.

My own confession that I missed him picked at a loose thread of melancholy. Quickly I twined it back in on itself before it could continue to unravel. I changed the subject. I shared with her that there was an enjoyment in bringing her blackwine. I would whether I was free or slave. It was what people who were close did where I had come from. Share. A steamy mug of ... something and a piece of cake was what friends did.

But ...

When he was there I could not ... No , truth was I did not want to know anyone else existed. Everything, everyone else disappeared, leaving him as the center of my universe. I knew it angered some. It did touch me when she said that was because they could not see my heart.

Now the race is on and here comes Pride in the back stretch, Heartaches going to the inside

It was tease, it was taunt, it was honest when I said I would race her over the wall. We agreed to pack a lunch and bring a first aid kit. We were going to need them.

I wonder if she understood the predatory nature of the challenge.

No comments: