Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A few of my favorite things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad
~Sound of Music

I seemed caught in a wirlwind of change that left me dizzy. Being once more a camp slave afforded me freedoms I had not known before. When I first came to the people I was not trusted enough to be able to roam among them much and the set of bells on my ankle at least let them know where I was and what I was doing when I did. The bells no longer swirled my ankles and I was more readily accepted at the fires. This new opportunity was not one I took lightly. In fact it felt like a gift to be cherished. I will admit that I was very much surprised to be in such demand among members of the tribe. Honored is a good word, I think. The physician had allowed me to help with the dispersement of furs to the outer wagons and help label things in her wagon. The kaiila Master said that once I didn't look like a present all wrapped up, I could help again with feeding and grooming the kaiila. Mistress; 'I have an bone in my leg,' said I could continue helping put up jars of jams and drying meats too. Then there was the task the Commander sent me on of combing beneath wagons to find a wiry little half bota to deliver to the Elders. That as well as the blonde urt hunt and raxxberry counting. Life was good and it was becoming full.

raven has been given the responsibility of keeping the camp slaves in line. If my opinion matters, it was a good decision. She did catch me off guard when she called me out to let me know I would be taught first aid by the Mistress. We, the camp slaves, would all learn something that would be helpful to the tribe. I did make sure that it was alright with the healer as well. If it had been up to me, I would have rather learned more about the kaiila. I knew a little about the beasts in a way. I knew horses and these creatures were similar, well, except for the fangs and taloned claws and all that silky fur ... and the fact that they tower over a wagon in size. And I had learned more when I was allowed to help with them before. The kaiila Master had said once that I could go with him on some of the drives. I had been torn between staying close to Me too and exploring the vastness of my new world and all of its glory. The decision would not be mine to make.

There were several thoughts that ran through my head besides the obvious. One was that no one really knew much about me. That was because I never said much. I get quiet when I am content and had been very quiet for a long time. The second was a dream. At first I had so wanted it to come true, now feeling that it just may, left me with this dreadful sinking feeling. The last was that I would have to remain within sight but not too close.
There was an old piece of prose that wove its way through my thoughts ... 'whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.'

No comments: