Friday, September 21, 2007

Golden Slumbers

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles await you when you rise.
Sleep,
pretty baby,
Do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby.

Cares you know not,
Therefore sleep,
While over you a watch I'll keep.
Sleep,
pretty darling,
Do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby.

Shirking my responsibilties is not common for me but today chores were ignored for something far more important. Forging beyond the beaten paths of the stream I was led by instinct or maybe intuition.

Past a tangle of vines with amber trumpets that woke twice a day. Little heads that followed the movement of La Torvis before they weary and close to sleep again. Farther than the thicket of reeds that house a myriad of aquatic and amphibious life forms. I wound my way through the shower of little puffs that not so long been brilliant purple pom poms that now shed seed pods into the breeze like a snowy blizzard of cotton balls. I found my spot on a little rock hidden within the tall grass to keep my vigil. Today it did not hold a predator, just a petite little stalker with good intentions ... me.

A salamander with a playful nature essed his way beneath and over fallen leaves. He'd stop now and then to peer up at me as well as turn to look at another half restless soul not far away. Otherwise his trek was simply to munch on a juicy morsel of gnat or noseeum or just bask in the warmth. Rays from the sun a healing compress of heat so lanquidly delicious, I found myself doing what the my slinky little pal did ... I just soaked it all in. But here I kept my watch, singing softly and letting the lullabies carry in the breeze along with those snowy seeds.

It would have been a selfish thing to disturb the peacefulness any more than that and for once I truly wasn't thinking of me.

No comments: