Friday, September 21, 2007

On a cloud


The peacock's hue within the ringlet's fall,
The dark-eyed glances of the startled fawn,
The suppleness of vines in limbs, the moon's
Full roundness in the face — your playful scorn
In eyebrows tells me you combine them all.
With mineral dyes I've drawn you in this feint
Of anger at me when in truth the stone
Should show me at your feet, my eyesight filled
With tears. How hard a fate that won't condone
The warm reunion I long to paint.
When he who would embrace you only sees
His virtuous at distance, and appears
To outstretched arms an ache or emptiness,
The woodland deities are sad: their tears
Are swollen tenderly to pearls in trees.
The winds from Himalayan snows that blast
Their way on southwards to the air have lent
The smell of opened pine trees' oozing shoots.
Let me hold you, worthy one, whose scent
Has come assuredly from bodies passed.
How can the night's extended watches shrink
Or all the days be cast in moderate heat?
But in this manner, with unsteady eye,
The sights petitioning for my defeat,
In pain and helplessly of you I think.
I live by brooding on you. Do not feel
Excessive grief for me, my tender one.
Unending pain and joy are no one's lot,
But always upwards, downwards we are spun
About the felly of life's turning wheel.
When Vishnu rises from his serpent bed
The curse had ending, which is four months hence.
My soul's desire, now close your eyes, and think
How love's long parting brings its recompense
In moonlight falling through that night instead.
Kalidasa - Excerpt from Meghaduta

Morning kissed my cheeks and I lay there watching the dawn emerge in its full granduer. No congering of a merry song, no force of grease paint smile. Just the silence of liquid emotion undamming rivers along the sides of my cheeks. Unstaunching the flow while the parting of a cloud allowed the light to shine through. One ihn in time so intense that I struggled to breathe. Memories flooded through me, from of the merest touch of fingertips that have traced the strands of my hair, to the roughened grasp drawing me closer. I relived them all over and over again until I thought I would burst from the pain, the pleasure, the agony, the bliss. I lived in those moments in each and every one of them and yet I died as well. A savored death my soul cried in longing for as many times as the remembrance would come. Once, one hundred, a thousand or more. Whispers painted the surface of the cloud pouring out onto it ... everything and an exhaled breath sending it on to its destination.

No comments: