Tuesday, October 9, 2007

He went that way

With the new tasks of breaking camp in the mornings, a quick barbeque near the tailgate of a bosk drawn RV, I had little time to think of the mistakes I'd made. Now and then a glimmer of remembrance would send shudders of emotions roiling through me so great I could hardly breathe. It was not the time to succomb to them, instead I gave in to surviving this first venture across the plains.

There were times I felt inept watching the other girls effortlessly follow through with the varied tasks. I stuck with what I knew. Shouldering as many botas as I could, I wove through the rows to offer them to the thirsty. Later the skins would be replaced by pastries filled with meats to dole out. While the evening began to fold in on itself, new fires would be lit, a new camp would be set up for the night, and tending to a whole new set of details while the rest of the harriga caught up on much needed rest.


In the meantime, the kaiila Mistress has given Me Too a mount of his very own. At first I thought how wonderful! Then it dawned on me. How was I supposed to keep up with him now that he was mobile? The Tuchuk have a grand sense of humor, I can tell and she is without a doubt full blooded. After a bit of casual conversation, she dropped this little hint that the boy needs a bath and when I didn't bite, she suggested that I give it to him probably because I like playing in water so much. I groaned at the mental image of the mud pies that would create by simply dunking him in. If anyone thought that being chased out of the stream by a fish or being licked upside the head by a kaiila or thrashed by the wispy parts on the other end was amusing then the second day of the move was going to be a knee slapper watching me weave diagonally through the rows of moving wagons, chasing after the rear end of a north bound kaiila with Me Too spurring the mount just enough to stay several strides ahead of me. I wound up missing a few chores and it was even later in the night before that blanket would find my company. He still needs a bath and now I do too. I think I still have a kaiila kiss in my hair and we are not even going to discuss my toes.

No comments: