Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pull it gently and it won't hurt


If you feel like you're alone,
know, you are not alone
If you're on your own in this life,
the days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much
of this life to hang on.
Well, everybody hurts sometimes,
Everybody cries.
And everybody hurts sometimes.
So, hold on, hold on.
Everybody hurts.
You are not alone.
~R.E.M.





It was during one of those quiet talks where I could see the fatigue beginning to wear on the healer's shoulders not just her eyes that she sent me off to her wagon for a medical pouch. The instructions had been to remove all but the basic contents. It would be how I could help. My little swatch added among the others. While another of the Healer's Clan was away, I could see to the smaller scrapes and scratches. It gave me a warm feeling inside .. an honor to be able to aid the woman ... to give.


She offered advice on how to approach the patients as a slave so that there were no misunderstandings, no hurt prides, no hurt egos, no getting under foot and maybe this time no sailing bell across the trail. It was still a good catch.

Ok now all the little boys and maybe bigger ones too had to watch out ... I was armed. So maybe it was just antiseptics and bandages. They were not yellow snoopy ones but I could draw smiley faces on some of them.

No comments: