Wednesday, October 3, 2007

kaleidoscope


So I walk up on high
And I step to the edge
To see my world below.

~ Collective Soul

Anticipation, preparation, enthusiasm combined with elbow and wagon grease had more than swept through the entire harigga. It was bustling everywhere. It was contagious. Double somersault right into the midst of it all. I had no time to think other than what task was handed to me at the moment. No sooner than I finished one project another was already chomping at the bit to be done ... yesterday. I was loving it.

Except when Palla bless her little bitty weathered heart decided that she needed more hands to help paint her wagon. I tried to balk at doing any painting but she was not going to take no for an answer. Not just the sides which she had exacting specifications for but the top as well. She had decided that it should look like the ground that we were going to travel over so that whatever lingering evil spirits might be on the winds couldn't ... see her. Being that I had slept up there many a night, she said I was perfect to hop up there and hop to it. I did have a lot better luck with this project than the last. For one she wanted the murial and too no one came up there with me to distract me. I am not sure that the camoflage was precisely what she wanted but it was nice and mottled tan by the time I crawled back down. No sooner than my feet lit on the dirt she whopped me with a dust broom and said I missed a spot. Back up I went to study my artwork from a few different angles before I put a gray spot on the side near the front. I told her she was right, it needed a rock. That was about the time she alluded to the idea that I should have thought of that the first time. I am not sure why but I like her and it had nothing to do with the fact she gave me jam on a piece of bread for helping out.

I'd asked Cana if she minded that I slept close to her wagons and she said I was welcome there anytime not just when all I could do was topple into my blanket either. I slid under Master Rook's wagon long after dusk but couldn't fall asleep right away. The rush of adrenaline still pumped through my veins. I tried to imagine the move when it actually began. I always used to enjoy parades down MLK Boulevarde but that was what ... maybe 100 floats? This would be tens of thousands, not in a one after another line but spread out across the plains as far as one could see in every direction. I was shaking my head at the vastness of it all. It would have to look like a kaleidascope from the skies.

One of the girls tossed an extra blanket to me and I tucked it under my chin with my hands curled under it. The Mistress keeps everyone occupied at all times, but it just had an easy going feel to it. Rook had taken a shine to the boy even if it was to polish his noggin now and then. There was kaiila to help with and a warm spot to sleep. It came to me though ... remembering helping the healer, maybe some of the outer wagons needed help too. I fell asleep with a smile pondering that.

No comments: