Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Snow White


when we leave this world behind
the magic of the night
leads the naked and the blind
to the other side
of a dreamer's golden mind
and forevers burn so bright
turn around and you will find
another shinin' light
down on senseless avenue
all your fantasies come true
welcome home, my chosen few
when your hot gets a little cold
when your young gets a little old
lost souls will be found again
- subway angel's caravan

I can't remember who won the original bet as to how long I would last among the tribe. I don't think anyone thought it would be this long. Later in my life I would look back on all the things that had happened up through this first move and much of it will not be so important, some of it will be etched there for my lifetime. I didn't get to see Tooria and strut past it arrogantly but somewhere in my heart I knew they knew we had passed their gates and trembled. They had good reason to. It wasn't exactly a land of bosk and honey but it sure felt that way inside.

I wandered back among the first wagons amid dustings of snowflakes, cold, weary, with a few scratches and a new set of stripes on my back. It was made clear by Master Duran that even though my efforts to help had been beneficial, there was consequence for being so outspoken. I'd accepted them as graciously as I could but he had spared no mercy in the offering. The shawl I was allowed to keep as well as an invitation to return when not needed elsewhere.

I returned with more. There were two dung sacks apiece that had been collected from among all of the outer wagons that was sent to the Ubar and the kaiila Mistress for the repairs and for allowing me to work among the outer wagons. Another girl ... Rita, helped me drag them through the mire. She said I was welcome to visit with her as long as I didn't plan on being such a bossy bitch next time. I had to laugh when I told her I would only bark orders if the sky begins pouring dirt on our heads and then trying to wash it off with a river. She said that was fair enough.

I returned too with news of a couple, Gideon and Ula, that had interest in Me Too. They had lost a child during a move about 6 envars ago and had empty spots in two big hearts that was big enough for a precocious young warrior.They didn't need a slave though not even a free one. I would simply offer the knowledge to Master Rook and Mistress Cana without interfering or trying to do it my way. Wondering what would they do with me worried the inner part of my lip between my teeth a little.

While we walked with the sacks nipping at our heels, I told the girl a story that didn't make any sense to her but it struck home a lot of things for me. It was about two Ubars far away and long ago. They had called truce to an ancient war between their tribes. When one gave the other a gift of 20 mounts, the other had offered his own to ride back. It was what the second had said that kept running through my head ... The walk home is part of the gift.

I was humming this silly song as I neared the inner circle .. Hi ho .. hi ho ...

No comments: