Monday, January 28, 2008

Remember


It had begun as a slow ambling ride at the ridge just beyond the harigga. Ebet was keeping a close eye on me and sort of enjoying a few ahn being out beneath the stars as well. Poor Akasha almost got knocked off her saddle when she rode up with Trang. Quick introductions I think prevented a massacre in A minor.

Dang it she had her kaiila already blanket broke, saddled and now she had him out and about for a ride. Big dumb stupid head beast of mine was still munching back at the pens. Smirking no doubt. The lanky pace afforded us being able to talk while the men tuned out the chatter. I have to digress here to say that first, the original idea of revenge had been Akasha's but in confession ... how ... was my idea. Technically Saresh started it all with the stopper. I just thought it needed a little color. Pink was the first choice but in the end reddish orange .. bright reddish orange was going to be the newest fashion, right between the eyes.

There were still things going round and round in my head so I plucked out one that seemed pretty easy going. Did she know how to use a bow and arrow? Sure enough she did and she didn't mind teaching me. I could check that one off my to do list. I eyed her for a moment then threw down that challenge again. Race ya! No real thrill winning by default, takes some of the sass out of the bragging rites. One good tschk of my tongue, a lash of the reins and a rap of my heels in against the stirrups and I was off. I was calling back over my shoulder name the ante .. lizards or eggs. I ended up raising the pot with winner cooks for the loser and betting I could beat the pants off Ebet as a side wager. He said as long as he was in them I was on.

The harigga had no idea we were headed their way at break neck speed. Traversing through gulley washes, urging the beasts up small inclined ditches and leaping a few brush and bramble on our way.I know it was a suicide move but neither one of us could help letting go the reins and throwing our hands in the air. I left a full blown rebel yell echoing across the plains then closed my eyes as it felt as if the wind itself had grown static around Keah and I. I drank it in like a woman dying of thirst, with my hands outstretched as if they cupped the rich velvety blue of the night itself to gulp from.

As we passed the first of the outrider wagons, Akasha was a halter strap behind me, Ebet in a close third and Trang pulling up the rear. I won. I WON!

Maybe we could race at the games next season. Let's see those dwellers try to outrun a plains kaiila. In gasping breaths of thrilled excitement, I asked her if she was ready to go home. She seemed to inhale the word, letting it fill her lungs as I had the savor of the winds. Home.

After seeing the mounts were walked enough to cool them and the lather of their pelts brushed out, she headed for her wagon and I headed for mine. She yelled across the rows just before she disappeared ... Kaiila dreams sister. Remember the taste of freedom today!

No comments: