Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Uncomplicated

Days went by while I acclimated Sin to more complex commands. It was not merely teaching him the feel of the reins but touch and voice guidance as well. For each response I wanted with use of the reins, there was a touch of my heels, my knees, or my hand. The tsk of my tongue, whistle, snort, shrill had meaning to compliment the other lessons. It had come to the point where I could remove the reins and saddle and he still knew how to respond. Among all of the thousands of kaiila kept of the Tribe, three short sharp whistles would bring his head up and no matter where I was ... he would come. It was a deceptive calm that one of Barhk's sons made the mistake of intruding on. Sinewy still had all the fire and defiance he began with and the young man almost lost a few fingers thinking he could just walk up to the beast as I did.

When I returned to my wagon, I found the gift the minx had left for me. Wasn't there always something that she would do or send after she had angered me? There, carefully lain on my platform was a plate of the nut pastries. Bribe? Gift? Another way to say 'I'm sorry'? I wasn't sure how to take the gesture.

I wasn't sure how to take much of anything at the moment. My momentum felt .... just off after the day before. I certainly was not ready for another roller coaster ride so I waited until I was sure there would be no one left at the fires before I entered the circle of flames. In this solitude I thought ... just maybe I could find some sense of peace. La Torvis had warmed the day more than most though the wind had still nipped icily, and now that the temperature began to drop it seemed to worm its way bone deep. No matter how many chips I added to the fire, I could not get warm. When I heard the crunch of dirt beneath the heel of a boot I turned to look up. That small glimmer of recognition in his eyes brought a smile. Such a simple question for it to have vast impact on me. How is your new life treating you? Ah now to answer honestly without seeming ungrateful, left me with a hesitance in the middle.

It has been ..
it has been good ...
for the most part ...

And before I could finish there was just a smile and a genuine gift. He said he was there if I needed someone to talk to.

... different.

He had always been, hadn't he? From the first time that I met him through to the reach of his hand to pull me up on his kaiila with him for a ride when I was weary, to now, this very moment, he had always been there for me to talk to. It only felt right to introduce myself. I mean the 'me' as I am now. I had to cant my head a little when he told me I knew who he was. Yes and well .. no. See, I'd never spoken his name before, it wasn't allowed. That was when he leaned in close enough to whisper against my ear ...'You always called me Master.' It just seemed to break the ice and we ended up laughing.

But he knew too that there was still much on my mind. We spoke of what it was like being a prospect. When he said it had been the most nerve wracking time he had ever had, I somehow found encouragement there. There was definitely empathy. It is just easier for me to talk about kaiila so it was natural for me to ask what his kaiila's name was. Why did I ask? Silly jit, because I take care of the beasts and .. and ... I just realized I don't know what his name is or much about him or ... much about the man I was talking to either. Dracko was the russet colored kaiila's name and if he .. the warrior ... needed someone to help ... with the kaiila ... I didn't mind.

I listened as he told me of losing his father at an early age and the life he had with his mother until she passed. That was when he finally returned to the Tribe. I hadn't meant to bring up tender subjects but he was reassuring ... it didn't bother him. He was at peace with the skies though we both agreed it was nice to have someone to talk to. It really was.

So .. since I was getting comfortable a little with him, I got a bit feisty too. Well? Well what? Well, did he need any help taking care of Dracko? No, I didn't mind but ... it might cost him. I was all set to launch into one of those barters of what was it worth when I just looked at him and spit out the skies honest truth. I had nothing in mind. I was terrible wasn't I? I would watch over the animal and he knew it. And in the middle of all that fluster and perhaps a little bluff and bluster, I caught this gleam in his eye when he said he knew I would. Skies, men are infuriating!

We talked a little about this one certain place along the route from south to north and it made me smile when he remembered it saying he thought we could find it again. I didn't want to sound brazen or all flirty. The man had been a good friend to me and that place was special. There was a wistful thought too, that I had never gone to see his paintings inside his wagon and now ... well now, I didn't think it was appropriate. He promised that after I became Tribe I could come see. His suggestion was to ask Cana if it was alright ... that and if it would be alright to help me paint mine.

All the while we talked I'd been adding new chips to the fire and curling in close to try and ward of the chill. There was the gentlest of gestures when he reached over to pull a fur up around my shoulders. 'You looked like you were cold'.
I studied his features, I studied his eyes and the scars on his cheeks, etching it all into my memory. He bid me farewell just after that with a wish that I have good dreams.

There was so much uncomplicated warmth in those moments.

No comments: